HomelocationsKilrush

Kilrush

Kilrush is situated along the Shannon and on the Wild Atlantic Way. The town is one of 15 designated Heritage towns in Ireland. The town is focused around a market square at the centre, all routes radiate from this point. Part of the town centre was designed by John Ormsby Vandeleur; whose family owned the large estate at the edge of the town.

The Killimer-Tarbert Car ferry is located less than 10 minutes drive from the town. This provides a great link to Kerry, Limerick and on to Cork.

Historical Background

The town of Kilrush, or Cill Rois (meaning the church of the woods), grew up around the pre-Reformation church from which it takes its name. The partial ruins of this medieval church still stand in Kilrush Churchyard.  In 1813, the churchyard was extended northwards and construction commenced on a replacement building, now used as the Teach Ceoil.  In 1873, part of the original mediaeval building was demolished to make way for the Vandeleur Mausoleum (recently restored by Kilrush and District Historical Society with funding from the Dept. of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Structures at Risk Fund. )